A leader in isotope enrichment technology for the medical, green energy and industrial sectors
What are isotopes?
Isotopes are two or more types of atoms that have:
- The same atomic number (same number of protons in the nucleus)
- The same position in the periodic table (and hence belong to the same chemical element)
- They almost have the same chemical properties.
- They have a different number of neutrons in the nucleus
- They have different atomic masses
- They sometimes have different physical properties
Where are isotopes found in everyday life?
The separation of isotopes has been important during the past century and has enabled key activities:
- Detection and treatment of cancer
- Geological experiments
- Radiocarbon dating
- Food irradiation to reduce pathogens
- Measuring distances and thicknesses
- Generating energy
- Smoke detection
In the future the separation of isotopes may enable activities:
- Quantum computing
- Advanced medical therapies and diagnostic procedures
- Satellites and Spacecraft
ASP has its origins in the South African uranium enrichment program in the 1980s and the ASP technology has been developed during the last 18 years by our scientists. ASP technology has demonstrated efficacy and commercial scalability in the enrichment of oxygen-18 and silicon-28.
A solution to looming Medical Isotope supply-chain issues.
Green Energy Isotopes
We may have a low cost and fast solution to producing HALEU.