A leader in isotope enrichment technology for the medical, green energy and industrial sectors
ASP Corporate Overview Video
What are isotopes?
Isotopes are two or more types of atoms that have:
- The same atomic number (same number of protons in the nucleus)
- The same position in the periodic table (and hence belong to the same chemical element)
- The same chemical properties
- A different number of neutrons in the nucleus
- Different atomic masses
- Different physical properties
Where are isotopes found in everyday life?
The separation of isotopes has been important during the past century and has enabled key activities:
- Detection and treatment of cancer
- Geological experiments
- Radiocarbon dating
- Food irradiation to reduce pathogens
- Measuring distances and thicknesses
- Generating energy
- Smoke detection
In the future, the separation of isotopes may enable activities:
- Quantum computing
- Advanced medical therapies and diagnostic procedures
ASP has its origins in the South African Uranium Enrichment Program of the 1980s, and ASP’s technology was developed over the last 18 years by our scientists. ASP’s technology has demonstrated efficacy and commercial scalability in the enrichment of oxygen-18 and silicon-28.
A solution to looming medical isotope supply-chain issues.